To flash systems with Award BIOS, the utility Awdflash.exe is used (it may also have another title, for example Award.exe). Sometimes the manufacturers of motherboards may offer their utilities consistent with Awdflash which may be found in the archive with the flash file. Awdflash utility allows updating BIOS in two ways: in the regime of a dialogue or with the help of the command line parameters.
To update Award Bios in the regime of a dialogue, follow the steps below:
- Copy the firmware program and the file with BIOS firmware for your motherboard on the floppy disk or another media created beforehand. If the firmware is situated in the archive, it should be extracted.
- Reboot the computer, enter BIOS Setup and follow the steps below:
- remember or better write down the current BIOS Setup settings;
- null BIOS settings by using Load BIOS Defaults or the command similar to this;
- make sure that the primary booting from the floppy was set as value of parameter First Boot Device;
- if there is the parameter “BIOS Flash Protect” in BIOS Setup, its value must be equal to Disabled.
- Exit BIOS Setup with saving all changes, insert the prepared floppy into the floppy disk drive and reboot your computer.
- Wait for MS-DOS booting and occurrence of the command line, enter Awdflash and press Enter to run the utility.
- Enter the name of the file with the firmware in “File Name to Program” and then press Enter.
- If the name of the file with the firmware was entered correctly, the message “Do You Want to Say BIOS (Y/N)” will appear on the bottom bar. Press Y to save the current version of BIOS or N if saving is not required.
- To save an old firmware, enter its name (for example, OldBIOS.bin) in “Save Current BIOS as” and press Enter again.
- The further steps will be operated without user input. A message “Flashing Complete. Press F1 to Continue” will appear after the successful firmware upgrade.
- Press F1 and reboot your system, after that all BIOS settings must be zeroed by “Load BIOS Default”. Then reset the former values of parameters.