IDE HDD Auto-Detection
After you have chosen this parameter and pressed Enter, the procedure of automatic detection of the device connected to this channel will run. After its successful completion, the values for Capacity, Cylinder, Head, Sector and some other will automatically set according to detected device.
HDD is defined incorrectly or does not define at all if the jumpers were set incorrectly or the loops were connected wrongly too, if a disk or controller were damaged and also when a newer hard disk is not supported by the updated motherboard. In the later case you have to update the current version of BIOS or try to use a hard disk not at full capacity (there are special jumpers for this on some disks).
Type (IDE Primary Master)
This parameter defines the type of a device connected to this channel. There are several possible values:
- Auto – the type of a connected device will be automatically defined on every boot;
- Manual (User) – the parameters of connected device must be set manually; you may need it when you connect it to very update hard disks which do not support automatic identification;
- CDROM/DVD – it is set when a device is connected to a channel for reading or/and CD or DVD recording. If there is no value, select Auto or None for such drives;
- None – it is set if there are no connected devices on this channel. A computer will boot faster because it spends less time for detecting the missing drives;
- LS-120, ZIP-100, MO, JAZ – they are used to connect updated devices to modern drives which are hardly used.